Saturday, November 18, 2006

Fritz

A fat man flying among the planets. I had done a cartoon series of the trials of my friend Fritz who is a little on the heavy side and favours suits and fedoras. In these I used the round figure with the hat, and was struck by the lightness of the figure, almost like a bubble. Fritz flying would be accompanied by bubbles, which later took on the aspect of planets. For a while I called the picture “Planet Man He's not going anywhere in particular, just enjoying his flight and occupying a part of space just likve the planets. The original design had a green background as it was a colour I hadn't already used in the planets, but when I began the painting the spacial aspect began to dominate so the blue/black of space was the obvious choice for the background. I attempted to paint one of the planets aalmost transparetn with the feflection of Fritz as he arrived near to it. I suppose I was thinking of the ending of "2001-A Space Odyssey, when a fetus drifts toward a planet.

No comments: