Saturday, November 18, 2006

Lips

This was a first attempt at pixel painting. I had already established the idea and form for the larger “The closer you get..” eyes, but wanted to attempt the process on something of a manageable size. There is an implied contrast between the geometrics of the construction and the softness of lips. The actual lips are taken from a photograph I took of a friend. In order to maintain colour tone, this picture was painted in one sitting. I had already mapped out the colour blocks and numbered them from darker to lighter. In one eight hour session I filled in all of the tiny blocks. The only canvas I had on hand was one larger that the image I wanted, so I had intended that the top and bottom should resemble the blank blue screen of a television. Once the lips were finished, I decided on the more dramatic black header & footer with the graphic white stripe for contrast.

No comments: